Click here to listen to a 2-minute podcast overview of the challenge.
What: In honor of OSHA’s “National Stand‐down to Prevent Falls” the BWC Canton/Cambridge Service Offices are hosting a Safety Council Challenge. We want to encourage every Safety Council member to perform safety training on preventing falls.
It’s easy. Training materials are linked below (or you can use your own) and all you need to do is:
- Perform the training to as many employees as possible (but 100% is not required to participate in this challenge)
- Document your attendance (keep it for your own records) and
- Submit the information (Click here for the form) to your safety council by Monday, June 4, 2018.
- When: The entire month of May
- Who: Every Profession – Industry, Healthcare, Construction, Service or any others
- Where: Your own facility or in the field at your jobsite
- Why: Falls are the number one reason for fatalities in Construction, but it doesn’t stop there. Every employer has a risk of employees slipping, tripping or falling. It may be the Ohio weather or the fact that all employees walk at some point during the work day. The risk is there, so the Safety Council challenge is for you to “stand‐down” and talk about it. Any employer can hold a stand‐down by taking a break to focus on “Fall Hazards” in your specific workplace and reinforcing the importance of “Fall Prevention”. It’s an opportunity for employers to have a conversation with employees about hazards, protective methods, and the company’s safety policies and goals. It can also be an opportunity for employees to talk to management about fall hazards they see.
The council with the highest member participation percentage will be presented with an award at a regular meeting!
Links to Training Materials & Resources
Click here for the May 2018 Challenge Info & Completion Form.
Strategies for reducing Slips trips and falls
PCSC Podcasts Training Supplements (you can use these as tool box talks):
- Safety Talk: The ABC’s of Fall Protection. Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives us an overview of The ABC’s of Fall Protection! (8:08) This episode would make a great tool box talk!
- Safety Talk: Fall Protection Harness Inspections. Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives some tips on how to properly inspect fall Protection harnesses! (3:58) This episode would make a great meeting ice breaker or tool box talk!
- Safety Talk: Slips, Trips, & Falls. Nicholas Coia, Industrial Safety Consultant from the Ohio BWC presents on how to prevent slips, trips, & falls. (4:46) This episode would make a great meeting ice breaker or tool box talk!
PCSC Podcasts Interviews (ideal for a more in-depth safety conversation):
- Episode 29 – Fall Protection Interview. Nic Coia interviews Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, for an in-depth conversation on fall protection! (15:09)
- Episode 3 – How to Reduce the Risks of Slips, Trips, & Falls at Work. PCSC Manager Mike Thompson interviews BWC Industrial Safety Consultant Nicholas Coia on how to reduce the risks of slips, trips, & falls at work. (8:00)