Episode 217: Did you know that the top 10 disabling workplace injuries cost employers over $58 billion every year? In this episode, we cover those top 10 injuries according to Liberty Mutual Insurance’s 2021 Workplace Safety Index report and chat about what you can do to prevent them. Click here to watch the video. For more information about the PCSC, visit PortageCountySafetyCouncil.com today!
Welcome to our monthly newsletter for September 2021!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- Machine Safety Part 1: Societal Demands for Safety & Productivity. [Video] Mark Eitzman of Integrated Mill Systems, presents on societal and economic forces driving safety, the 3 elements of safety maturity and justifying & proving the return on investment of safety and productivity. A MUST SEE VIDEO FOR CEO’S & SAFETY PROS!!!
- New OSHA Noise Hazard Program: OSHA announced a new Regional Emphasis Program (REP) to identify, reduce, and eliminate hazards associated with exposures to high levels of noise. The program was announced on June 14, 2021, and is for OSHA Region V, which includes Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- Robot Safety Q & A: [Audio] Mark Eitzman, Safety and Project Manager at Integrated Mill Systems, answers questions after his presentation on Safety Considerations for Robots in Manufacturing. (8:33)
- OSHA’s Suicide Prevention Stand Down Campaign: In accordance with OSHA’s Suicide Prevention Stand Down Week, we made this video and podcast to help employer prevent suicide,
- Construction Suicide Prevention: Free resources to prevent suicides in the construction industry.
- Seat belts & Claims: September 2021 Safety & Hygiene Corner.
- Ohio BWC Distance Learning: September 2021.
- 2021 All-Hazards Conference: Oct. 1, 2021. Hosted by 3 county LEPC’s.
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Podbean, Stitcher, & TuneIn/Alexa! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- Statewide Safety Council Mega Meetings Announced: As mentioned earlier today and at the announcement of our FY22 program year, the Ohio BWC is hosting 2 statewide “Mega Meetings” for all Ohio safety councils. There’s no need to register for these events, just click on the link for each date on the attached flyer to access the live broadcast. Please see the flyer for more info.
- Free 5-Hour Machine Safety Workshop: This course will be broken up into five, 1-hour live training sessions, 11am-12pm, on Zoom Webinar, every Wednesday in September starting on the 1st, ending on the 29th. Click here for more info! You can still attend the last 3 sessions!!!
- Join today to level up in safety! 16 live virtual meetings with on-demand access, free access to 2 semi-annual statewide safety summits and more will be included in this year’s membership! IT’S NOT TOO LATE TOO JOIN!!!
Episode 216: Ami Gignac & Katie Woodhall, Managing Partners at Sparrow Tale management consulting, chat with us on how consistency can make or break the development of your safety culture! This is an excerpt from e175, click here to listen to the full interview. For more information about the PCSC, visit PortageCountySafetyCouncil.com today!
Episode 215: In accordance with OSHA’s Suicide Prevention Stand Down Week – September 6-10, 2021, we made this episode to increase awareness & prevention of suicide at work. Click here to view the video. Click here for more info on how to prevent suicides in construction. For more information about the PCSC, visit PortageCountySafetyCouncil.com today!
Q: If I am driving a company vehicle and I am involved in an accident that is not my fault AND I am injured AND not wearing my seatbelt, could BWC deny my claim?
A: So, it sounds as if you are potentially concerned that if you aren’t wearing your seatbelt that the claim could be denied. Remember, the BWC is no fault insurance – if the injured worker was in the course and scope of employment and is injured, the employee is eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
So, in this hypothetical circumstance, the employer could discipline the injured worker for not following safety policies, etc. but that would have no impact on the allowance of the claim.
As a best practice – I would encourage the Employer to develop, document, conduct training and implement a seatbelt policy and align themselves with the law. Wearing a seatbelt is the law!
The BWC has a sample driver safety written program at : https://info.bwc.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/bwc/for-employers/safety-and-training/safety-video-library/Written-Safety-Program-Templates
*Provided by the Ohio BWC safety consultants.
BWC is hosting a number of occupational safety and health webinars and virtual classes in September including:
Weekly Webinars –presented live with BWC discount program & continuing education credits
- So you had a Claim, Now What? (September 14)
Virtual classes –
- Violence in the Workplace (September 8)
- Emergency Preparedness Planning Half-day Workshop (September 16)
- Health Hazards and Toxicology Fundamentals (September 28 & 29)
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Awareness (September 30)
- Bloodborne Pathogens, Developing a Safety Culture, OSHA Recordkeeping 101 and others
Additional information on all September distance learning, including registration, is found in the attached flyer.
For more information or assistance when registering, contact the staff member listed or email@example.com.
Episode 214: Mark Eitzman, Safety and Project Manager at Integrated Mill Systems, presents live on robot safety at one of our recent virtual meetings. For more information about the PCSC, visit PortageCountySafetyCouncil.com today!
Episode 213: Timothy Brewster, Director of Loss Prevention & Recovery Unit at National Interstate Insurance Company presents on fleet safety at our May 21, 2021, virtual meeting. For more information about the PCSC, visit PortageCountySafetyCouncil.com today!