Provided by the Ohio BWC safety consultants.
Question: How do I correctly perform a monthly fire extinguisher inspection?
Answer: First, know this monthly inspection is mandatory via OSHA and National Fire Codes. This inspection is commonly done inhouse by an employee. There are a variety of items you want to inspect monthly on fire extinguishers:
- The extinguisher is properly mounted and not blocked or covered from view.
- The extinguisher is charged (in the green) and ready for use.
- The tamper seal is on and is holding the pin in.
- There isn’t any physical damage to the extinguisher.
- Nothing is blocking the nozzle (look in it)
- The extinguisher is full by weighing it. (mandatory for CO2)
- The nameplate is visible when you remount the extinguisher.
- There is a valid maintenance tag on the extinguisher that the inspector signs and dates.