The following email is an update from the Ohio BWC regarding FY21. It was sent on 7/8/20.
Dear safety council member,
As a valued member of an Ohio safety council, we want to inform you of important updates to the BWC Safety Council program for the upcoming fiscal year, that started July 1.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Ohio Safety Councils will conduct all meetings virtually (online only) this fiscal year. This is the safest way to hold meetings as we work to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Ohio. We expect most safety councils will choose to host virtual meetings this year. However, if that is not the case with your local program, we will connect you with a neighboring safety council that will host you until in-person meetings resume.
The decision to go virtual will also make participation as easy as possible for you as you focus on resuming your operations and keeping your workforce safe.
In light of the difficult and unusual times, we will not be offering a rebate for participation nor the performance rebate (for those eligible) to employers who participate in the BWC Safety Council program.
While this is not the usual direct financial reward for attending, we believe your business will still receive valuable workplace safety information and resources by attending meetings online. What you learn at upcoming virtual meetings can help with cost savings and keeping your workers safe from injuries and illness at work.
Look to your local safety council for information on upcoming meetings and programming as they remain your source for occupational safety and health and workers’ compensation information and resources!
BWC Safety Council Program Manager
Welcome to the 13th edition of our new monthly newsletter!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant
safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every
month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- Episode 60 – Safety Talk: How to Avoid Slips, Trips & Falls in Winter Weather Conditions. Cari Gray, Safety Consultant Specialist for the Ohio BWC, called in to share some tips on how to avoid slips, trips & falls in winter conditions! (7:20)
- Episode 56 – Safety Blast: Winter Walking-Working Surfaces Standard. Cai Gray, Safety Consultant Specialist for the Ohio BWC, gives us a snapshot of OSHA’s walking-working surfaces standards in regards to inclement winter weather often experienced in Northeast Ohio and beyond! (2:19)
- December’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- Why Workplace Wellness: Dec 2018 Safety & Hygiene Corner. Provided by Ohio BWC Safety Consultants.
- The True Cost of Safety May Not Be What You Think. Article provided by Ving!
- Ohio BWC Expands “Better You, Better Ohio!” Workplace Wellness Program: Employers with 150 or less employees will now be eligible to participate! Click here for employer information. Click here participant information. Click here to listen to an in-depth interview regarding this program.
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are now available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, & Stitcher! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone!
- Moving into 2019! Please help us serve you better by completing this quick survey today!
- NEXT MEETING: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:30am-1:00pm. Our topic is The True Cost of Safety and it will be presented by Rich McElhaney. RSVP deadline is 12pm on Monday, December 10th.
- Holiday Food Drive: Don’t forget to bring non-persihable food item to help those in need through Kent Social Services. Get 1 drawing ticket for a $25 gift card for every item donated!
- Site Security & Vulnerability Assessments (Live): Audio from October’s monthly meeting is now available!
- SARA, LEPC & Company Compliance (Live): Audio from November’s monthly meeting is now available!
EXTERNAL TRAINING CREDIT OPPORTUNITIES:
Please Note: these are not PCSC sponsored events but do qualify for 1 external training credit for PCSC members.
- BWC Updates: These are the power points presented by BWC Representative Nic Coia at our monthly meetings.
- Monthly Meeting Power Points. We
post them on our website after the presenters send them to us and give
us permission to publish. If the speaker provides additional info, we’ll
post it there as well.
- External Training Credit Opportunities: We
post them on our blog as outside organizations send them to us. A
maximum of 2 external training credits are allowed per program year to
help members earn the 10 minimum attendance credits required by the
rebate. Please Note: ETC certificates of completion must be submitted by
June 30 every year in order to qualify. Click here for ETC guidelines.
- Rebate Participation Spreadsheet.
Rebate eligible members can review how close they are to fulfilling the
minimum rebate eligibility requirements by reviewing the Participation
Spreadsheet which is typically updated on a monthly basis. Please Note: Updates won’t begin until the first of the year.
WINTER DRIVING SAFETY:
- Episode 11 – How to Stay Safe Driving in the Winter. In this interview, Lori
Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO joins us to
discuss how to stay safe driving in winter weather. (13:11)
- Episode 10 – Safety Talk: Winter Driving Safety. Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO shares how to stay safe on the road in the winter. (7:18) This episode would make a great tool box talk!
- Episode 9 – How to Prepare Your Vehicle for the Winter. Vince
Stropko and Lori Cook of AAA East Central NEO join us on this Safety
Chat to discuss how to prepare your vehicle(s) for the winter. (11:02)
- Episode 8 – Safety Talk: Winter Vehicle Prep. Vince
Stropko, Approved Auto Repair Rep for AAA East Central NEO, provides
tips on how to prep your vehicle for that frigid Northeast Ohio winter!
(3:15) This episode would make a great tool box talk!