What: In honor of OSHA’s “National Stand‐down to Prevent Falls” the BWC Canton/Cambridge Service Offices are hosting a Safety Council Challenge. We want to encourage every Safety Council member to perform safety training on preventing falls.
It’s easy. Training materials are linked below (or you can use your own) and all you need to do is:
- Perform the training to as many employees as possible (but 100% is not required to participate in this challenge)
- Document your attendance (keep it for your own records) and
- Submit the information (Click here for the form) to your safety council by Monday, June 3, 2019.
- When: The entire month of May
- Who: Every Profession – Industry, Healthcare, Construction, Service or any others
- Where: Your own facility or in the field at your jobsite
- Why: Falls are the number one reason for fatalities in Construction, but it doesn’t stop there. Every employer has a risk of employees slipping, tripping or falling. It may be the Ohio weather or the fact that all employees walk at some point during the work day. The risk is there, so the Safety Council challenge is for you to “stand‐down” and talk about it. Any employer can hold a stand‐down by taking a break to focus on “Fall Hazards” in your specific workplace and reinforcing the importance of “Fall Prevention”. It’s an opportunity for employers to have a conversation with employees about hazards, protective methods, and the company’s safety policies and goals. It can also be an opportunity for employees to talk to management about fall hazards they see.
The council with the highest member participation percentage will be presented with an award at a regular meeting!
Links to more information, training materials, training events, resources & more!
- 2019 Contest Flyer & Submission Form
- 2019 Training Resources
- Strategies for reducing slips trips and falls
- May 2019 Stand-Down Training Events by the Ohio BWC