Welcome to our monthly newsletter for July 2019!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- How to Coach Difficult People to Improve Safety. Ali Mitchel, Health Educator at The Portage County Combined Health District, stayed over with us after her presentation to chat about how to coach difficult people to improve safety! (20:46)
- Safety Blast: Heat Stress Warning Signs, Prevention, & Remedies. Joe Barney, Compliance & Training Officer from The Great Lakes Construction Co. shares his insight on heat stress warning signs, prevention, and remedies! (2:22)
- Safety Blast: Be Tick Smart.Natalie Menke, Vector Control Seasonal Worker at the Portage County Health District, gives us some quick tips on how to “Be Tick Smart” this summer! For more information on tick safety, please visit the PCHD Vector page or Ohio.gov/ticks.
- Heat Stress: Warning Signs & Prevention. Joe Barney, Compliance & Training Officer from The Great Lakes Construction Co. stayed over with us to recap his presentation on how to prevent heat related illnesses & injuries at work! (7:23)
If You’re Trapped In A Car On Fire Or Sinking In Water, The Right Escape Tool Is Critical. Article by Forbes.
Here’s how to escape your car if it floods during a hurricane, AAA says. Article by USA Today.
- Staying Safe in Wet Driving Conditions. Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO shares how to stay safe in wet driving conditions. (5:03)
- Hydroplaning. Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO gives us a few tips on how to prevent hydroplaning! (2:05)
- 4 Ways to Fight Mosquito Bites. Theodore Russell, BSPH, Vector Control Seasonal Worker at the Portage County Health District, gives us 4 ways to “fight the bite!” (1:48)
- July’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- Summer Safety Contest by Ving!
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are now available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, & Stitcher! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- NEXT MEETING: Thursday, August 8, 2019, 11:30am-1:00pm. The topic will be Fire Safety and it will be presented by the Kent Fire Dept. RSVP deadline is 12pm on Monday, August 5th.
- Celebrating 100 Episodes and More! Nic & Mike celebrate 100 episodes and two big wins for the Portage County Safety Council! Join them as they discuss this and more! (9:32)
- New Summer Safety Page! We just launched a new podcast archive page linking to topics related to summer safety! Check it out today!
- BWC Updates: These are the power points presented by BWC Representative Nic Coia at our monthly meetings.
- Monthly Meeting Power Points. We post them on our website after the presenters send them to us and give us permission to publish. If the speaker provides additional info, we’ll post it there as well.
- External Training Credit Opportunities: We post them on our blog as outside organizations send them to us. A maximum of 2 external training credits are allowed per program year to help members earn the 10 minimum attendance credits required by the rebate. Please Note: ETC certificates of completion must be submitted by June 30 every year in order to qualify. Click here for ETC guidelines.
- Rebate Participation Spreadsheet. Rebate eligible members can review how close they are to fulfilling the minimum rebate eligibility requirements by reviewing the Participation Spreadsheet which is typically updated on a monthly basis.
- Community Spotlight: Leadership Portage County. Have you ever heard of Leadership Portage County? If not, you’ve probably heard of one of their projects! Executive Director, Kurt Reuhr, joins us to chat about this key community program. (18:04)