Welcome to our monthly newsletter for May 2020!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- [Safety Crash Course] Bloodborne Pathogens (Live). This is a live recording of the 1st of 3 Safety Crash Course – Part 2 presentations at our monthly workplace safety luncheon on March 5, 2020. The topic was Bloodborne Pathogens Basics and it was presented by Brenda Allen, Certified Trainer, Swift First Aid. (14:56)
- [Safety Talk] Thunderstorms & Lightening. Here’s some safety tips from Ready.gov on what to do during thunderstorms & lightening! (3:25)
- [Safety Talk] Floods. Here’s some safety tips from Ready.gov on how to prepare for and what to do during a flood! (5:11)
- [Safety Talk] Power Outages. Here’s some safety tips from Ready.gov on how to prepare for and what to do during a power outage! (4:33)
- May’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- First Aid Response Times: May’s Safety & Hygiene Corner.
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are now available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, Stitcher & You Tube! local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- FY20 Refund Notice: Deadline to respond is June 1, 2020. Any unclaimed refunds will be adsorbed back into the PCSC to support future programming. Follow link for more info.
- Get Outside campaign posters (11×17) & flyers (8.5×11) by Portage Parks have been downloaded well over 300 times! Follow links to download and print your own!
- COVID-19 Program Updates: The latest program updates from the PCSC as a result of COVID-19. More info coming soon!
- Event Cancellations: All PCSC events have been cancelled through June 2020.
- Overcoming Loneliness During COVID-19. According to the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration, “loneliness and social isolation can be as damaging to health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day!” As the COVID-19 crisis continues, we asked Jennifer Parmenter, Clinical Counseling Supervisor at Family & Community Services, Inc., in Kent, OH, to call in to give us some tips on how to overcome loneliness & avoid its deadly consequences! (56:32)
- How to Take Care of Your Mental Health During COVID-19. Jennifer Parmenter, Clinical Counseling Supervisor at Family & Community Services, Inc., in Kent, OH, called in to give us some tips on how to take care of ourselves and our mental health during the COVID-19 crisis! (28:37)
- Staying Active at Home During the Lockdown. Leslee Keegan of I’m Power Fitness Center in Ravenna, OH, called in to give us tips on how to stay active at home during the COVID-19 lockdown! Check out her Facebook page for more info today! (12:31)
- How Stress Affects Workplace Safety. Is stress really a safety concern? In this episode, Mike & Nic chat about stress before & during the COVID-19 pandemic and how it significantly impacts your workforce, even in regards to safety! (22:52)
GET OUTSIDE CAMPAIGN:
- Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park. John Trevelline, Park Manager, joined us to chat about the wonder of Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park! (12:48)
- Why You Should Spend More Time Outdoors. Andrea Metzler & Jennifer White of the Portage Park District, joined us to chat about the health benefits of spending time outdoors at least 120 minutes a week! (5:46)
- Wild Hikes Challenge. Jennifer White shares about Portage Park District’s Wild Hikes Challenge! Hike 8 parks or trails by the end of year and earn a hiking staff (1st year) and/or Wild Hikes medallion. What a fun way to explore all the great parks & trails in Portage County! (2:24)
- Portage Parks. Andrea Metzler and Jennifer White of the Portage Park District, joined us to chat about their parks, the benefits of spending time outdoors and the new Get Outside campaign with the Portage County Safety Council! Follow the links to get a free campaign poster or flyer today! (59:36)