Welcome to our monthly newsletter for May 2021!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- Recharge Your Workers’ Compensation Program (Live). This is a live recording of our Virtual Safety Council meeting on Thursday, February 25, 2021. The topic was Recharge Your Workers’ Compensation Program and it was presented by Debbie O’Connell & Wendy Sergent, Regional Managers, 1-888-OhioComp. This presentation contains information on Ohio BWC incentive programs. Video
- [Safety Talk] Floods. Here’s some safety tips from Ready.gov on how to prepare for and what to do during a flood! (5:11)
- [Safety Blast] Hydroplaning. Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO gives us a few tips on how to prevent hydroplaning! (2:05)
- JSA & JHA Basics (Live). This is a live recording of the 4th of 4 Safety Crash Course – Part 1 presentations at our monthly workplace safety luncheon on February 13, 2020. The topic was JSA & JHA Basics and it was presented by Debbie O’Connell, Regional Account Manager, 1-888-OhioComp. Click here to view the power point. (11:41)
- Fall Protection Interview. Nic Coia interviews Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, for an in-depth conversation on fall protection! (15:09)
- May 19, 2021 – Free Hearing Screening. Provided by UH Portage Medical Center
- Certified Respirators: May Safety & Hygiene Corner.
- Ohio BWC Distance Learning in May 2021
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Podbean, Stitcher, & TuneIn/Alexa! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- FY22 Update: The Ohio BWC has decided to extend the virtual Ohio Safety Council program for another year. This means there will be no rebate for FY22. In addition, the CY2021 semi-annual reports and CEO attendance will no longer be required.
- FY22 Renewal Notice: 16 live virtual meetings with on-demand access, free access to 2 semi-annual statewide safety summits and more will be included in this year’s membership! Renew today to LEVEL UP IN SAFETY!
- May 27, 2021 – Reducing the Risk of Accidents Through Effective Fleet Safety Controls, presented by Timothy Brewster, Director, Loss Prevention & Recovery Unit, National Interstate Insurance Company.
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH RESOURCES:
- How Stress Affects the Body. Video] Dr. Aubree Brachna of Peak Family Chiropractic in Akron, OH, joined us to talk about how stress affects the body! (54:08)
- When to Know You Need Help. [Video] Jennifer Parmenter, Clinical Counseling Supervisor at Family & Community Services, joined us to talk about how stress is affecting us since the pandemic. She also gives us advice on when to know we need help beyond self-care and our personal support systems. (45:37)
- How to Talk to Employees About Stress. [Video] Stress at work during COVID-19 is at an all-time high! Nearly half of our members said stress likely causes them to occasionally work unsafely and well over half (59%) said their companies rarely or never talk about it to employees. Luci Payne and Barb Furst of IMPACT Solutions joined us to discuss how we can talk to employees about stress. (46:10)
- Dealing with Stress at Work Since COVID-19. [Video] Clinical Consultant, Kelly Bako Younkins, joined us to talk about dealing with stress at work since COVID-19. (58:41)
- How Stressed are Your Employees? [Video] To get an idea of how stressed local employees have been since COVID-19, the Portage County Safety Council surveyed its members in late October 2020. In this video, we discuss the eye-opening but not surprising results. (19:40) Power Point.