Welcome to our monthly newsletter for December 2019!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- [Safety Blast] Winter Walking-Working Surfaces Standard. Cari Gray, Safety Consultant Specialist for the Ohio BWC, gives us a snapshot of OSHA’s walking-working surfaces standards in regards to inclement winter weather often experienced in Northeast Ohio and beyond! (2:19)
- Training Common Sense to Improve Winter Safety. Cari Gray, Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, shares why it’s important to train workers in what appears to be common sense during the winter weather season! (7:10)
- How to Avoid Slips, Trips & Falls in Winter Weather Conditions. Cari Gray, Safety Consultant Specialist for the Ohio BWC, called in to share some tips on how to avoid slips, trips & falls in winter conditions! (7:20)
- The Effects of Drugs at Work (Live). This is a live recording of our monthly workplace safety luncheon on March 14, 2019. The topic was The Effects of Drugs at Work: Warning Signs & Prevention and it was presented by Dr. Amanda Burke, Prevention Specialist at Townhall II. Click here to view the power point used in the presentation. (43:34)
- December’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- OSHA’s Cold Stress Guide.
- Bandsaw Guarding: December’s Safety & Hygiene Corner.
- 7 Short Lessons On Electrical Safety That Everyone Should Know. Article by Ving!
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are now available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, & Stitcher! local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- NEXT MEETING: Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11:30am-1:00pm. The topic will be Practical Application of Electrical Safety, and it will be presented by Karl Cunningham, Global Electrical Safety, Maintenance and Project Specialist, ES Squared, Inc.. RSVP deadline is 12pm on Monday, December 9th.
- Holiday Food Drive on December 12th! The first 50 attendees who donate at least one non-perishable food item at our 12/12/19 luncheon will receive a free Bridges Out of Poverty book! Donations will go to Kent Social Services.
- January Will Be Workplace Wellness Month! January 2020 will be Workplace Wellness month at the PCSC! We’ll be releasing a related podcast every Monday of the month. More info and resources coming soon!
- Monthly Meeting Power Points. We post them on our website after the presenters send them to us and give us permission to publish. If the speaker provides additional info, we’ll post it there as well.
- External Training Credit Opportunities: We post them on our blog as outside organizations send them to us. A maximum of 2 external training credits are allowed per program year to help members earn the 10 minimum attendance credits required by the rebate. Please Note: ETC certificates of completion must be submitted by June 30 every year in order to qualify. Click here for ETC guidelines.
- Rebate Participation Spreadsheet. Rebate eligible members can review how close they are to fulfilling the minimum rebate eligibility requirements by reviewing the Participation Spreadsheet which is typically updated on a monthly basis.
- Flu Prevention. In this Safety Talk, Susan Forgacs, Public Health Nurse from the Portage County Combined Health District gives us some timely tips on flu prevention. (7:50)
- The Costs of Improper Handwashing at Work. In this interview, Justin Rechichar of the Portage County Health District shares that according to CDC statistics, employers lose an average of $1,685 in production per employee every year. Something he says that can be significantly reduced by proper handwashing. (14:21