Welcome to our monthly newsletter for August 2019!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- Insight from the Chardon School Shooting. On February 27, 2012, Coach Frank Hall chased a gunman from the Chardon High School cafeteria just seconds after three students were mortally wounded and another three were injured from gunfire, putting his own life on the line to protect the school’s children and staff. Accompanied by his colleague Coach Snyder, Frank shared his insight & experience at our May 9, 2019, safety luncheon.
- Fire Safety Interview. Lt. Jeff Coffee of the Kent Fire Dept. stayed over with us after his presentation this month to chat about fire safety in the workplace!
- August’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- OSHA’s Top Workplace Safety Tips for Employers. Article by Ving!
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are now available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, & Stitcher! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- NEXT MEETING: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 11:30am-1:00pm. The topic will be When OSHA Knocks and it will be presented by Pat McCon, Sr. Risk Engineering Consultant, Zurich North America. RSVP deadline is 12pm on Monday, September 9th.
- PLEASE TAKE THIS SURVEY: Help us with our new Why I Stay Safe Campaign (which will launch at the above monthly meeting) by completing this short, 4-question survey. Thanks!
- DID YOU KNOW? That we have created & published over 20 hours of workplace safety & health content through the Portage County Safety Council Podcast!
- BWC Updates: These are the power points presented by BWC Representative Nic Coia at our monthly meetings.
- Monthly Meeting Power Points. We post them on our website after the presenters send them to us and give us permission to publish. If the speaker provides additional info, we’ll post it there as well.
- External Training Credit Opportunities: We post them on our blog as outside organizations send them to us. A maximum of 2 external training credits are allowed per program year to help members earn the 10 minimum attendance credits required by the rebate. Please Note: ETC certificates of completion must be submitted by June 30 every year in order to qualify. Click here for ETC guidelines.
- Rebate Participation Spreadsheet. Rebate eligible members can review how close they are to fulfilling the minimum rebate eligibility requirements by reviewing the Participation Spreadsheet which is typically updated on a monthly basis.
- Community Spotlight: Celebrate Portage! Celebrate Portage! is on a mission “to educate and invigorate the vision for a vibrant and exciting Portage County.” Every year they host an annual awards dinner, cruise-in, volunteer day, and much more! Todd Peetz joins us to chat about this exciting community effort.
- Community Spotlight: Leadership Portage County. Have you ever heard of Leadership Portage County? If not, you’ve probably heard of one of their projects! Executive Director, Kurt Reuhr, joins us to chat about this key community program. (18:04)