January will be our official Workplace Wellness Month! As a part of our on-going Healthy Workers are Safer Workers Campaign, our aim is to help you promote health & wellness to your employees by providing relevant information and campaign resources.
Here’s what we’ll be offering:
- Workplace Wellness Podcasts: We’ll be emailing out a new workplace wellness related podcast every Wednesday in January! These episodes will include interviews from local trainers such as Leslee Keagan of I’m Power Fitness Center and Chase Leonelli of Sequoia Wellness at NEOMED.
- Live Training: The Ohio Dept of Health will be presenting at our January 13 virtual meeting on “The Impact of Prediabetes on Your Workforce.”
- Free Campaign Resources: This page contains links to free campaign tools (such as a poster & graphics) and relevant workplace wellness resources to help your company promote & improve worker health.
- Engaging Your Workforce in Wellness: Engaging Your Workforce in Wellness is a 24-page toolkit promoting the benefits of employee health & wellness programs and providing employers with evidence-based strategies.
We hope that you’ll find these free resources valuable and that you’ll help promote health & wellness with us throughout the month of January!
Welcome to our monthly newsletter for December 2021!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
- [Safety Blast] Christmas Driving Safety Tips. [Audio] Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO gives us some tips on how to stay safe driving for Christmas! (4:15)
- Finding Facts, Not Faults: How to Improve Safety After an Injury (Live). Nicholas Coia, Industrial Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, presents on Finding Facts, Not Faults: How to Improve Safety After an Injury. Click here to watch the video. Click here to view the slides or here for the handout mentioned. (43:16)
- Ladder Safety for Work & the Holidays (Live). [Video] Dave Dennison of Werner Ladders (Flaherty Sales) instructs on how properly inspect, use and dispose a ladder.
- Ergonomics: Challenges and Opportunities: Article by Ohio BWC.
- Holiday Workplace Safety: Article by Safety + Health Magazine.
- The 12 Days of Safety: Holiday safety poster by NSC.
- [Safety Blast] Driving Safe on New Years! [Audio] Lori Cook, Traffic Safety Advisor for AAA East Central NEO, reminds us to drive safe when celebrating New Years! (3:58)
- Anchored Machinery: December 2021 Safety & Hygiene Corner.
- Ohio BWC Distance Learning: December 2021.
- PCSC Podcasts: Our podcasts are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Podbean, Stitcher, & TuneIn/Alexa! Access local & relevant workplace safety information right through your phone! Subscribe today!
- Workplace Wellness Month: January 2022 will be our official workplace wellness month! We’ll be releasing a related podcast every week in January to help you promote health & wellness to your employees.
- Join today to level up in safety! 16 live virtual meetings with on-demand access, free access to 2 semi-annual statewide safety summits and more will be included in this year’s membership! IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN!!!
COMMUNITY NEWS & RESOURCES:
Did you know?
- “The Department of Labor notes that27% of all violent events in the workplace are tied to some form of domestic violence.” – ALICE Training.com
- ” 21 percent of full-time employed adults said they were victims of domestic violence and 74 percent of that group said they’ve been harassed at work.” – SHRM
- Portage County law enforcement agencies received well over 1,000 domestic violence calls last year!
Domestic violence happens everywhere and victims come in all ages & genders! Donya Buchanan & Amy Kelly of Safer Futures joined us to chat about domestic violence and give us a snapshot of how often it happens in the Portage County area!
COMMUNITY AWARENESS WALK – JUNE 26 Safer Futures will be hosting their 1st Annual “Shine a Light on Domestic Violence” Community Awareness Walk on Saturday, June 26, 2021, 6pm-9pm, at Sunny Lake in Aurora. Click here for more info.
Feel free to share with friends & colleagues!
Brought to you by the Ohio EMA, click here to access the toolkit.
We’re teaming up with SCSC to promote workplace wellness throughout the month of January!
At our monthly meeting on Thursday, January 9, 2020, we’ll be officially launching our new Healthy Workers are Safer Workers Campaign which provides employers with free campaign tools and workplace wellness resources aimed at helping them improve worker health!
We’ll be giving away 100 free campaign posters to those in attendance! Click here to download a free electronic copy today!
In addition to the campaign launch, we’ll be publishing a new workplace wellness podcast every Monday throughout to month! Once released, these episodes will be available through all of our podcast channels on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Podbean, & Stitcher!
To learn more, click here to listen to the January is Workplace Wellness Month podcast announcement today!
Provided by the Ohio BWC safety consultants.
Question: Why should I bother with a Wellness Program at my Company?
Answer: There is a lot of talk recently about wellness programs in the safety world. Especially in Ohio,since the BWC has rolled out the Better You, Better Ohio free wellness program for Ohio Employees that work in high risk industries.
So, a big question is: Why should a company want a wellness program? Employees are your most important asset – so you want them healthy! Let’s review just a few other reasons you want healthier employees:
- Fewer injuries and if injured they recover quicker
- Less absenteeism and more presenteeism – Boost Productivity!
- Boost morale, reduce stress, create a sense of accomplishment, reduce depression and build community at work
- Lower healthcare costs and good return on investment. Studies show for every $1 spent on health intervention employees recoup $1.40 to $4.60 in avoided medical cost and productivity losses.
These are just a few reasons and they sound pretty good! If you are eligible, consider promoting the BWC Better You, Better Ohio free wellness program. If you are a larger company, it still makes sense. You can also talk with your insurance carrier, they may have programs to assist you as well.
You must be logged in to post a comment.